If you’re in town to drop off a kid to be indoctrinated in social justice at the College of Wooster, or for some other reason, you’re probably thinking “Hey. What are the top 5 fun places for a drink in Wooster?” Well, we just happened to compile this list today and we were going to discard it, but since you’re asking that exact question we’ll share it. We don’t believe in coincidence.
- Buehler’s Milltown No kidding. They have a bar in the beer and wine department with eight microbrews on tap, and a wide selection of wine by the glass. It’s quiet there, with no jukebox or TV and it’s starting to get kind of social and fun. The bar is open every Thursday through Saturday from 3:30 to 8:30, so the next time you get the text asking if you can stop to get milk after work, just reply “On it, babe!” But remember the milk.
- The City Square Steakhouse Take clients here to talk business, or your in-laws to make them think you have clients. Eight Ohio microbrews on tap here, a full bar with some Ohio-made craft liquors. Don’t go alone and sit at the one high top table by the window to read a book. Just don’t.
- Meatheads Union Tavern This bar inside the (really good) butcher shop is the newest place on the list and it’s where people go first to let everyone else know they’re out. It’s trendy but it’s still fun.
- Flamingo Jacks Here’s the place to take a group of friends. 10 beers on tap, a full liquor program with lots of specialty and frozen drinks. The indoor bar has a good club feel. The patio is cabana style with a fun vibe. This is the hottest nighttime spot in Wooster after 9:00 p.m. They also have the best casual dining menu in the five-county area, let alone in town. The kitchen stays open until at least 1:00 a.m.
- Jake’s Go here to watch the game. The place is huge and opens at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. They have 12 good beers on tap, plus a full bar and several big screen TVs. Fewer TVs than BW3s, but much better food and atmosphere. We wish they had a Trivia Night, though. One with the automated internet-connected trivia game so we can play our buddies who live out of town. (Local trivia: More Gran Marnier is sold here than in any place in Wayne County, maybe more than in all Wayne County in toto. Nobody knows why.) Jake’s is 4.6 miles east of downtown on Lincoln Way. Go out Pittsburgh Avenue past Coccia House, past Fiore’s, past the Ugly Duck, past where the Ranch was, way out past Rayco and Magni-Power to just past Barnhard Road on your right. It’s on a curve and you’ll probably blow by it the first time, so if you haven’t gotten a DUI by then just turn around and it will be on your left.